9th of Nar 229: The Greater Foe

The Greater Foe
Summary: A Laniveer fleet strays into Morbin waters, but before battle can be joined a even greater threat emerges.
OOC Date: 11/Jul/2014
Related: None
Players:
Dair Eoin Arlen Dandy 
The sea off Stormvale.
It is blue nad very, very flat. There is bugger all wind.
9th of Nar, 229

The day is clear and the sky is a bright shade of azure blue. The sun is an island floating in the sea that is the sky and not a cloud can be seen in the horizon for miles. Cri has faded in the background and looks like more moon than the well-known and beloved planet. The dark water that creates the ocean rolls and moves with hidden currents, the air smells salt and water. The air is also still as if the ocean and the world were holding their breath. Soon over the horizon the tall mast of ships can be been seen. Their sails are out as the captains pray they will catch the wind, but they remain slack. Slowly through the use of backbreaking work done by men on oars the tall ships make their way over the water.

While there may be issues with it in places, it would seem that today the costal beacon system has worked as planned. Unrecognised sails were spotted and the news reached Stormvale in time for ships to put to sea to meet them. The harbour chain has been raised behind them, just incase, but by all accounts moral amongst the fleet is high and they're all ready to go sock it to the Laniveer bastards.
Not yet having had time to get used to one of the new carracks, Eoin is leading the fleet once more aboard the Lady Aoife. His archers are primed in the rigging, aided by a contingent of the royal rangers gifted by the King, his anti-boarding nets are up to protect his crew, and all are ready at their assigned stations. The lack of wind is irksome, but for now he's leaving it be as he'd prefer to be with his fleet than engaging sooner but on his own.

Arlen Kincaid had the first carrack and his crew is already trained to handle this ship, so they are making good progress when they sail out behind Admiral Eoin's Lady Aoife. The Admiral of the Lakeshire navy is on the deck, looking out for enemy sails with a stone-faced expression. Trying hard not to think of the last encounter with the Laniveer navy and how that ended for him.

<FS3> Eoin rolls Perception: Good Success.
<FS3> Arlen rolls Perception: Good Success.
<FS3> Laniveer rolls Perception: Good Success.

The men from Laniveer continue to row. Up the lookout sounds an alarm and men leap into action, like ants swarming a bit of honey they get prepped for the coming battle. Their colors are slack and the heat form the sun pounds down upon their backs, scorching their leathery weathered skin and reminding them that it is the master.
Up above in the sky the Cri begins to fade. The ocean water with its currents seem to die and the only movement that any ship can make is through the use of oars. No bird from shore can be seen.
Both sides have an eerie sensation as the hair on their necks begin to stand up on edge. Hands become clammy and some of the men turn pale with dread.

It's one of the archers Eoin has deployed up in the heights of the rigging that spots it first, pausing for a moment in confusion before he calls down, point as he does so, "in the water! Swimmers!" for what else could it be right, and bows are readied to loose as soon as the offending Laniveery break surface. The call catches Eoin attention and he grumbles slightly to himself. Given the conditions he hadn't had chance to deploy his own and curses his opponants for having beaten him to it. "Signal to the fleet!" he calls, watching as a crewman scampers for the right flags to alert any who have not yet seen to the danger. Then, once he sees the first flags rise he strides forwards th the forecastle himself to get a view and start to marshall the troops to repel the expected boarders.

Arlen stares at the strange moving shape as well, then calls his second-in-command to be sure. There are panicky comments about the Kraken from the sailors and downright mutinous looks on their faces when the signals are starting to come from the Lady Aoife. "These are no humans.", he mutters, then nods to his second-in-command. "Captain, inform Admiral Eoin… this is… a strange…. whatever." He doesn't know and he isn't going to ruin his voice over it, so he lets the Captain do the shouting to the crew and hissing of signal flags.

Eoin rapidly comes to the same conclusion as Arlen once he sees it for himself, so a mere nod is given to the mate who approaches with the message from the Senga. A quick glance to the Lakeshire ship and he dismisses the man back to his post, if he could pass mesage back without the whole fleet seeing he'd confirm that, but for now he would rather not start a panic within his own ranks. "Signal the fleet," he orders again, "'make best speed, course north nor-east'. There's precious little wind but we may as well try and use what we can find while denying it to the Laniveer." Once the order is passed though it's the bubbles that keep his attention on it and an order passed to the lookouts has half of them tracking the dark shape and while the others return their attention to the enemy that is known.

The Senga's crew is still looking rather mutinous as the men have succssfully convinced themselves that it IS the Kraken and their last hour has come. The officers start yelling at them and even threaten the lash if they don't adjust course pronto as per the Admiral's order to keep up with the Lady Aoife.

<FS3> Laniveer rolls Percpetion: Failure.
<FS3> Eoin rolls Perception: Great Success.
<FS3> Arlen rolls Perception: Good Success.

The water begins to churn now and on the deck of the enemy ships there is a horn being blown. Oars continue to move forward and the organized chaos that comes before a battle remains.
Something solid knocks against the Mobrin ships sides and in the now churning water a greyish light begins to shimmer. Another knock comes and then the water moves and something black surfaces and then sinks back into the water.

"It's a whale," Eoin calls, loud and commanding, his voice carrying in the still air as the Lady Aoife makes it's slow and ponderous turn towards what could laughingly be called the windgauge. He's fairly sure he saw a tentacle flash in there, but it could just be the churned up water playing tricks. Grey though, that makes it a whale, or at least as far as his crew need to know anyway. Before the seconf knock comes he's calling again, "new signal, 'navigate round, whale in the water', lets keep the ret of the fleet from struck." Then, as he forces hismelf not to just stare at the water he calls again, "rouse the cook from below, have him dump a barrel of fish over the port quarter

Arlen also tries to assure his crew that it's a whale and not the Kraken, amid much cursing and shouting. Otherwise there is little The Senga can do for now, waiting to see what Admiral Eoin will do on the flag ship.

Confident that his orders will be carried out, Eoin does not turn to look when he hears a few choise swearwords and some huffing and puffing from behind, then an array of small splashes as the fish are offloaded at the stern of his ship. He ordered it, it has been done, now he just has to hope it works. There's a quick glance up to the sails, and then across to the Senga and he starts to mentally calculate just how big a wind might be needed to get them moving enough to clear this potential abomination.

Even if all the sailors farted at the same time it wouldn't be enough wind to get them moving fast. Arlen watches as the fish are dumped into the ocean to see if the whale will actually move, while letting his captain should orders to the crew to tack and get the ship moving - preferably away from the huge beast and onwards.

Something moves and it slides over the bow of the Senga. It black, and underneath it there are grey cup like things that are found on octopus. The water continues to churn and move around the ships. The enemy ship is closer now and there are shouts a horn being blown. The fish it releases the Senga and goes after the fish. The enemy is now loading arrows that are are green with flames. A horn is blasted and the arrows are released in the direction of the other fleet but instead of aiming for the fleet they are aiming at what is between them.

Eoin rapidly comes to the conclusion that he could likely get one ship clear without too much difficulty, but not both. Certainly he's never managed, or even attemtped such before and there'd be a hell of a lot of explaining to do afterwards. Explaining he's not sure he could effectively pull off. A frown crosses his features as he ponders what damage a full blown storm would do right now, but rapidly decides that they are no where near that point yet. Then everything happens at once, the Senga is grappled, then released, the tell-tale glow of green-fire is seem and the 'whale' heads for the stern of his ship. "Signal the fleet," he starts again, "'ware fire'", then to his own crew, "fetch sand from the ballast holds and make ready to smother anywhere that is hit." It might not work, but it's better than doing nothing. Of the obvious tentacle he makes no comment, comment would not help, his crew need to be focused on their tasks so he continues with the orders, "Rangers! Keep watch on the Lanniver, loose when in range. Archers, keeps eyes on that whale, loose if it threatens this ship or our fleet! Cookie, more fish over the port quarter!"

There's more mass-panic on the Senga when the iffy tentacle appears on deck and fresh screams about the Kraken are head. But then the beast disappears again to a collective sigh of relief. Arlen commands a few people to keep the beast in sight to make sure it doesn't return, but orders most of the crew to get ready for battle, the archers picking up arrows to fire against the Laniveer fleet as soon as it is within shooting range.

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Laniveer=Archery Vs Creature=Defense
< Laniveer: Success Creature: Good Success
< Net Result: Creature wins - Marginal Victory

The first volley of green fire is released and the creature in the depths seems to know it is being fired upon and it moves away. The Enemy ship is closer now, and close enough that the creature moves to wrap a tentacle around it.
Another horn call comes from the ship and arrows with green fire are made read to be released. The green fire from the first volley dances on the surfaces of the dark water. Another volley is launched at the creature this time it is closer to meeting its mark. On the surface of that other ship men scramble as they reach for weapons to hack at the creature.
By the Lady and the Senga the water churns again and tentacles grab at the fish.

"Master Palmer," Eoin calls next, keeping himself firmly focused and not allowing the dread he's feeling to show infront of his crew. "Battle is about to be joined with the enemy, a rousing rendition of Greenshire Lass if you please." Not perhaps the most militarisitic of songs, but one the entire crew know and love. "Keep dumping the fish," he orders, hoping to keep the creature distracted in a manner the Laniveery are not, "then prepare to engage any enemy ship not currently engaged." Or, in translation, keep the fleet away from the ship that become entangled.

With the barrage of green fire flying towards them, the Senga's crew finally pulls its attention fully on the actual attack and not the creature that has gone off to annoy another ship. Soon enough the order is given to let the first row of arrows fly.

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Arlen=archery Vs Laniveer=defense
< Arlen: Good Success Laniveer: Failure
< Net Result: Arlen wins - Solid Victory
<FS3> Opposed Roll — Eoin=sailing Vs Creature=perception
< Eoin: Good Success Creature: Great Success
< Net Result: Creature wins - Marginal Victory
Eoin spends 1 luck points on lets make that marginal victory to the baddies a draw shall we?
<FS3> Opposed Roll — Laniveer=blades Vs Creature=Defense
< Laniveer: Good Success Creature: Success
< Net Result: Creature wins - Marginal Victory

The other ships are now firing on the creature. A green glow eerie glow begins to fill the ocean as the horrid stuff continues to burn on the surface of the water. The creature releases the enemy ship when sharp swords of carbon steel bite deeply into its flesh. Another volley of arrows are fired on the creature and few of burning arrows sting its flesh causing it to react badly. It slams its tentacle into one of the ships causing it to rock. The green fire disperses and starts to spread out among the water.
In the meantime the volley of arrows sent by the Senga find their mark on the Laniveer ships mortal blows are dealt with a number of sailors.

With the sounds of tentacles off his stern, and a Laniveer ship ahead of him, Eoin considers another strategy. "Prepare another barrel of fish," he ordes, "but do not empty it yet. Let us see if we can gift whatever it is we are feeding to the Laniveer." A quick glance to the sea and he calls "let the Senga continue to keep them occupied and come about to north. I want us passing that ship to the windward with enough range that it's clear we're not coming in to board." He'll need the space to manouver away after all. With a definite plan of action, the crew seem to settle somewhat and start to take up the song as well, even Eoin it seems, who, very gently, very quietly, starts to whistle a-long.

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Eoin=sailing Vs Creature=perception
< Eoin: Good Success Creature: Great Success
< Net Result: Creature wins - Solid Victory
Eoin spends 1 luck points on lets make that -solid- victory to the baddies a draw shall we?
<FS3> Opposed Roll — Eoin=archery Vs Laniveer=defense
< Eoin: Good Success Laniveer: Failure
< Net Result: Eoin wins - Solid Victory
<FS3> Opposed Roll — Laniveer=Archery Vs Creature=Defense
< Laniveer: Success Creature: Good Success
< Net Result: Creature wins - Marginal Victory

Eoin notes his archers losing their first volley as the ships draw closer, and allows himself to smile faintly as figures fall amongst the Laniveery. His own bow is strung across his back for now, although his first priority is still manouvering his ship. "Helm, quarter turn port" he orders, keeping an eye on the moving mass in the water, although for now it would seem that goign far enough out to not risk a tentacled attack, while staying close enough in to be effective is going to take an awful lot of concentration.

The creature thumps against the sides of Lady as the sails fill with air. Another volley is fired and the opposite side misses the creature then entwines a tentacle over one of the other ships that belong to the enemy and one that belongs to Eoin's fleet. The creatures holds them tightly and the eeir sound of men shouting and wood creaking as the powerful creature tires to crack them open to get the meaty goodness that is inside.

Eoin spends 1 luck points on Lets try this the other way shall we. +50 bonus to me -before- the roll.
<FS3> Opposed Roll — Eoin=sailing+50 Vs Creaturer=perception
< Eoin: Amazing Success Creature: Good Success
< Net Result: Eoin wins - Crushing Victory
<FS3> Opposed Roll — Eoin=archery Vs Laniveer=defense
< Eoin: Good Success Laniveer: Great Success
< Net Result: Laniveer wins - Solid Victory

"Signal the fleet," Eoin roars as he sees one of his own fleet entwined, "break off and form defensive line three miles shorewards." Nautical miles that is. "Let whatever this is have it's fill of the Laniveery." And hopefully die of greenfire when it eats it he thinks, but obviously, does not say outloud. "Helm, hold course," he adds, "we have a squid to loose before we rejoin the fleet." Squid, definitely a squid. Absolutely no question, a squid. The manouvering might be throwing off his archers somewhat, but he manages to navigate a course past the creature entangling the laniveer ships and as he's broadside on to his own target he orders, "all hands as able, throw those damn fish over the starboard side towards the Lanniver, lets get whatever is on our tail onto his."

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Laniveer=Archery Vs Creature=Defense
< Laniveer: Success Creature: Good Success
< Net Result: Creature wins - Marginal Victory

The creature Busy with its kill rises out of the water, and cracks the two ships in half. There are screams now as the broken ships are flung at their respected party. The creature is huge and it reaches for the now drowning sailors with another long thick and heavy tentacle. It wraps it around one and stuffs it into that gaping maw. The Laniveer ships are now using their oars to retreat. And those that are not manning the oars are firing arrows at creature. They are not paying any heed to the Lady's position at the moment. This volley flies but it barley misses the creature instead those arrows sink into the now drowning sailor, engulfing them in a green hazy fire.

Eoin figures he's done all he can here and calls to the cook, "back to to the galley and get a fire lit. I want fire arrows as quick as you like. Helm, bring us about and steer us a wide course around this thing. Master Palmer, keep singing!" Moving to the starboard rail, the closest point to the Laniveer he cups his hands over his mouth and bellows loud as he can, "aim your greek fire at it's mouth! It's a weak point!" Then, figuring he'll likely not be heard he orders, "signal the Laniveer. 'Green fire at creature's mouth.' I doubt it'll be a fan of ingesting the stuff." That done he moves back towards the helmsman, helping the man steer a course back towards his own fleet but giving as much clear water as possible between his hull and the tentacles. "Archers," he calls before taking up his tuneless attempt at whistling again, "if you see a man entangled, give him your mercy!"

<FS3> Dair rolls Perception: Good Success.
<FS3> Opposed Roll — Laniveer=Archery Vs Creature=Defense
< Laniveer: Failure Creature: Good Success
< Net Result: Creature wins - Solid Victory

The signal is received and a series of horn blasts echo and the ships respond two fall back and one remains. The one that remain fire the green fire arrows at the creature's mouth. But apparently they cannot hit the broad side of red painted barn while sober. The creature is enjoying it snack. It reaches for those that are still alive and shoves them into his gullet. To the creature the sailors are so tasty after a long hard swim from the deep sea trenches.

With fire arrows now available to his archers on deck, and soon to those in the rigging, Eoin unslings his own bow from his back and moves to ake himself useful. "Signal anyone who's still watching," he calls, "'combine fire on the mouth area, maximun range'. Lets give it a volly or two to convince it not to come further inshore and threaten the city." He dreads to think what this thing would do to the docks. The chain might prevent against foreign ships, but this thing? No, it must be stopped here. "Loose when ready!"

Dandy has worked with the commander of the Marines as well as those few Royal rangers and having recieved instructoins thru the fleet he tells the marines to fire as they bare. Dandy pilots the Darkstar into position giving them clear view of the kracken so that none of the arrows fired from his ship will Interfer with any of the other Morbin ships.

Eoin spends 1 luck points on a) to prove morbin archers are better than laniveer ones, and b) get that motherfraking kraken out of my motherfraking waters!.
<FS3> Opposed Roll — Eoin=archery+50 Vs Creature=defense
< Eoin: Good Success Creature: Good Success
< Net Result: Eoin wins - Marginal Victory
Dandy spends 1 luck points on to turn a kacken into a new set of boots.
<FS3> Opposed Roll — Dandy=reaction+50 Vs Creature=defense
< Dandy: Amazing Success Creature: Success
< Net Result: Dandy wins - Crushing Victory
<FS3> Opposed Roll — Laniveer=Archery Vs Creature=Defense
< Laniveer: Success Creature: Good Success
< Net Result: Creature wins - Marginal Victory

<FS3> Laniveer rolls Chance: Failure.
<FS3> Dandy rolls Chance: Failure.
<FS3> Eoin rolls Chance: Failure.

There is thrashing and the Kracken is now angry roar as the arrows sent by Eoin's fleet connect with it. The roar shakes many a seasoned solider and sailor out of its boots. The Laniveer ship that has not retreated fires more of the green fire arrows at the creature and once again they would have better luck if they were drunk and not shaken to their core by the sight of such a creature. The creature is now blindly reaching out to attack. A tentacle slams into the Laniveer ship and then the creatures other tentacles reach out to wrap around Eoin's and Dandy's ships.

Eoin has a distinctly sinking feeling when the tentales rear up over his bow. "Archers! Keep loosing!" he bellows as he sends another flaming arrow into the creature as it starts to grip, "everyone else, get hacking!" The sailors don't need to be told twice, or most of them anyway, a few need a few yelled owrds of 'encouragement' from their seniors. Those in the rigging concentrate on the mas in the water and over the siderails, while those on deck focus on, well, what's on deck. "Make sure the fleet keep firing," he bellows, "we're the line between this thing and the King!"

Dandy Shouts out order to repell, as he see's the krackens tenticles latching onto his ship. The marines swap bows to their swords as they prepare to hack and chop at any tenticles they can reach, Those unable to attack it with blades, retain their bows as they chime in with the royal archers and fire on the krackens main body.

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Eoin=blades Vs Creature=defense
< Eoin: Good Success Creature: Success
< Net Result: Eoin wins - Solid Victory
<FS3> Opposed Roll — Eoin=archery Vs Creature=defense
< Eoin: Great Success Creature: Great Success
<FS3> Opposed Roll — Dandy=blades Vs Creature=defense
< Dandy: Good Success Creature: Success
< Net Result: Dandy wins - Marginal Victory
<FS3> Opposed Roll — Dandy=reaction Vs Creature=defense
< Dandy: Good Success Creature: Good Success
< Net Result: DRAW
<FS3> Opposed Roll — Laniveer=Archery Vs Creature=Defense
< Laniveer: Success Creature: Good Success
< Net Result: Laniveer wins - Marginal Victory
<FS3> Opposed Roll — Laniveer=Blades Vs Creature=Defense
< Laniveer: Good Success Creature: Success
< Net Result: Laniveer wins - Solid Victory

Eoin catches sight of his men making a sterling effort at hacking away, and so moves to his siderail once more, aiming his arrows into the mouth, or, if one presents itself, an eyes. "Keep signalling the Laniveer," he calls, "get them to throw the whole damn barrels of the stuff if they have to! Set the sea around it on fire, some of it will stick, or the damned thing will boil! But keep attacking! Set that thing ablaze!" Then, as an after though for any aboard who might be particualrly devout followers of the Light, "let sorcery burn sorcery!" That makes it okay right?

Dandy spurs on his men in attacking the tenticles attached to his ship as well as those firing on the creature with arrows.

<FS3> Laniveer rolls Perception: Good Success.
<FS3> Laniveer rolls Archery: Good Success.
<FS3> Eoin rolls Chance: Failure.
<FS3> Dandy rolls Chance: Failure.

The arrows it the Kraken but do not penetrate its vulnerable mouth. The Laniveer's ships barely miss the creature. They are shouting now and their ship is rocked as the tentacles knock into the side of the ship before it tries to crush the ship. Those who are not firing bows are set upon the task of hacking into the tentacle that is wrapped around it. As they hack at it the creature lets them go with another roar. The captain of that ship nods as another one of his men catches the signal. He rushes to go and do what is asked. A large clay container is dumped over the side ship. As it falls into the ocean the man on the ship waves his hand and another arrow of green fire is launched and fired into it. It bursts into flame and there is a small explosion as it hits water. The Kraken is sprayed with the fiery contents and parts of it now glow with the green flames.
The tentacle lets go of Eions ship as they begin to hack at it and no sooner has it been freed another tentacle takes its place. The creature is now roaring in pain. This one grips the ship tightly as the last.
Over where Dandy's ship is the creature lets go an the maries do a good job of turning that tentacle into sushi. The creature roars again and just as it lets go another tentacle takes its place.

Eoin is still firing towards the presumably squishy mouth bits, but can not help but notice as the Laniveery do as he commands. Hoping someone else also go sight of the greenfire container so the rest of the rangers can be briefed later he calls, "Mater Palmer, you seem to have fallen silent. Sing us a song, something martial this time," becuase, well, why not, hack and slash and loose away, but there really is nothing like a song for moral. This time, it would appear, that the ever resourceful Master Palmer has a tale of Greenshire maritime glory which he breaks into with gusto as he swings his cutlass as a bit of tentacle flesh.

Dandy and his crew pour on the damage to the tenticle(s) that attach to his ship while the archers continue to fire as hard as they can.

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Eoin=blades Vs Creature=defense
< Eoin: Good Success Creature: Failure
< Net Result: Eoin wins - Solid Victory
<FS3> Opposed Roll — Eoin=archery Vs Creature=defense
< Eoin: Good Success Creature: Success
< Net Result: Eoin wins - Marginal Victory
<FS3> Opposed Roll — Dandy=blades Vs Creature=defense
< Dandy: Good Success Creature: Great Success
< Net Result: Creature wins - Marginal Victory
Dandy spends 1 luck points on to turn a kacken into a new set of boots.
<FS3> Opposed Roll — Dandy=reaction+50 Vs Creature=defense
< Dandy: Good Success Creature: Good Success
< Net Result: Dandy wins - Marginal Victory
<FS3> Opposed Roll — Laniveer=Archery Vs Creature=Defense
< Laniveer: Good Success Creature: Good Success
< Net Result: DRAW

The song seems to do it's trick and those at the tentacle itself are soon laying in with as much gusto as is being up into the performance. Tales of old daring inspring acts of new daring. It's a sight to see really, or would be if everyone else wasn't concentrating on other things. More fire arrows are brough and Eoin continues his quest to singe/burn/and otherwise iconvenience the Kraken as much as he can in the hope it'll let go before the greek fire either does it's work, or burns out. He's hoping for the former, praying rather hard for it in fact if anyone can hear the mutterings under his breath.

The hacking causes the Kraken to let go of both ships it is roaring now with pain as the green fire engulfs it and the arrows fill its mouth. It submerges itself into the water to save its flesh but the fire follows it as it moves away from them to save itself.

From the Laniveer ship a truce is signaled and they raise a flag.

Eoin takes a moment, just one moment, to lean upon his bow and offer murmerings of thanks, before he straightens again, takes a deep breath, and goes back to being an Admiral. "Douse the fires!" is his first order, followed quickly by, "get the wounded below." Slinging his bow across his back again he strides for the sterncastle once more, resisting the strong urge to just stare into the water a where the krakan had vanished. Noting the truce flag from the Laniveer he eyes his own ship a moment, then the Darkstar, the Senga, and the rest of his fleet before decided that, if he's honest with himself, they're in no shape to give fight to the Laniveery. Ordering a flag to be run up to acknowledge the truce he has a boat lowered into the water to pick up any survivors that can be saved, then calls for another signal to be sent to the Laniveer. "Tell them, 'Admiral Haravean's compliements, we'll meet another day'. Once they've acknowledged, send to the fleet, 'Make effort to rescue survivors, hold defensive line', we'll head for home once I'm sure or visitors are on their way."

A signal is returned and another comes come stating that they are sending over a gift. After that signal is sent boat is being lowered into the water carefully. In it is one of those clay containers. The sailor in the boat steers it carefully towards the ship. He shouts up to Eoin's ship. "If the Kraken comes back then the Green Fire will not be here, we will meet another day. Viri, has also taught us that even though you are my enemy the Kraken is also both our enemies and I would rather have my enemy die a clean death then in the belly of that creature. This is for you."

Eoin keeps an eye on the rescue efforts as the Laniveer boat aproaches, then moves to the side once more to speak with the deligation. A gesture to his coxswain has the urn being lifted aboard and he offers a nod of thanks to the sailor. "My thanks, I pray we neither of us see that again but it is best to be prepared in case. Wait, half an hour or so, and any of yours we pul out of the water will be returned to you, or if you have any in need of more immediate attention then I will take them back with me for I have a shorter sail. I will see they are treated fairly." Parley over he turns back to his coxswain and orders the orn covered and stowed away safely below before noting to the assembled, "what just transpired, you neither saw, nor heard, any of it. These eastern priests would not understand the need for defense like those at home might, and you've all seen why we must protect ourselves."

"Aye we will stick around but I would not want to be here come nightfall." The man's accent is thick but his voice is clear and can be understood. "We would appreciate it. So far there is nothing that our healers cannot handle. I thought it was but a tale we used to tell children. We had given the rum to it this morning. Apparently it needs more than rum." The man shakes his head. "Be well and do not store any of the green fire in a wooden container or a container made of bone, it will burn through it." With that the man turns to row his boat back to the ship.

It doesn't take much longer than half an hour, to haul out those who survived the krakan, the fire, and plain old drowning. The men are sorted out, Morbin and Laniveer, and returned to their respective fleets before Eoin is left to watch as the 'enemy' sails for home. Once his lookouts confirm that they're beyond sight he gives the signal that no doubt everyone has been waiting for, 'make for home'. The green fire is hidden away, the wounded are being tended, and for now at least, the sea off Stromvale is safe once more.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License