Inouv 41, 228 - An Act of War?

An Act of War
Summary: Victoria and Vuk go on a scouting expedition and things go badly.
OOC Date: 31/12/2013 (OOC)
Related: None
Players:
Victoria Vuk 
Waters outside the Finger Isles (TP Room)
The open waters approaching the Finger Isles.
41 Inouv, 228

The waters on approach to the Finger Isles. It is dark, as it is the month of Inouv.

It is cold out on the open water. The wind whips at you mercilessly, but at least Vuk is able to keep the ship on course. The Isles are ahead, drawing closer. It is late at night and you can see pinpoints of light, though from the current distance you can't really tell if they are ship lights or lights on land. Everything is a bit of blur from the current distance, but you know you are in the right spot. Given the island arrangements, it will take hours to circle the entire 5 island country. The closer you get to the actual shores of the islands, the less time it will take to circle around, and the more detail you will get.

Vuk was ordering all lights out well before hand, and men to stay quiet. "Send for Victoria..her eyes are sharp, and I do not wish to do this any more then once." He'll whisper, holding at the helm, he's taking the wheel him self, letting the ship cut through the water like a wraith, time to earn the King's Favour.

<FS3> Vuk rolls Perception: Success.
<FS3> Vuk rolls Navigation: Success.
<FS3> Victoria rolls Perception: Amazing Success.

Victoria is sent for, one of the crew going down below to bring her about. Coming up the wooden stairs she will get lead to where Vuk is, the woman joining him, dressed in her black leathers of mourning, hair braided back. Gloves are worn and she has a thick cloak on, "Here, Lord Captain." The woman will murmur softly, looking out upon the waters towards those lights.

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Vuk=navigation Vs NPC=3+7
< Vuk: Good Success NPC: Success
< Net Result: Vuk wins - Marginal Victory

Well Victoria can see ships docked at the island from the distance you are at. There are several fishing vessels, but they are of little importance really. The ships aren't like the designs in Mobrin. There are about 4 or 5 large ships with 4 masts each, and then about another about half dozen with 2-3 masts each. The ships are closer in design to what may be seen coming out of Aberdeen then coming out of Mobrin. Vuk can see lights, and possibly vague outlines of some of the larger ships in the harbor. The Island you are looking at is rather large and there is a potential that more could be on the other side of the island. So far you don't appear to be seen, at least no one is approaching your position.

Vuk will rely on Victoria's words rather then risk using his spy glass, or climbing the rigs. As long as they are undetected he's willing to keep up their recon voyage, if any thing seems to have spotted them, he'll wheel about for the open sea.

<JUDGE> Anahyta says, "Spy glass is about 1608.. You don't have one"

<FS3> Vuk rolls Navigation: Amazing Success.
<FS3> Vuk rolls Perception: Failure.
<FS3> Victoria rolls Perception: Failure.

Victoria stands there in silence, looking out as the waters lap up against the ship lazily, hands on the railing as she looks at those lights, "I see .." Softly murmured, "Four —- maybe five." A pause as she considers, "Lets say four. Ships, with …those huge things-" Pointing up to the masts, Victoria is a ranger, who works on land, she has no idea what the sticks are that keep the sails alight. She's not done yet though, scanning through the darkness, "And …five or six …with …two. To three. Of the same." Again she points up to the masts, "Goddesses ….I go to the docks often enough." Still whispered, "They look …like the ones that Prince Conall Aberdeen has. Out from-" Well duh, "Aberdeen. So strange."

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Vuk=navigation Vs NPC=3+7
< Vuk: Good Success NPC: Great Success
< Net Result: NPC wins - Solid Victory

While the ship cuts expertly through the waters, and they meet no obstacles, the darkness hinders any further vision as you swing around towards the back side of the island. The lights all seem to blur together and you can't tell if they are lights from ships, or lights from buildings along the shores. It is all one blur of nothing distinct. At least you haven't hit anything, which is always good. Looking around the backside of the biggest island sets you up for a short jump to move towards one of the smaller islands, though none of the islands are actually small. You are making good time in checking out the islands, and actually Vuk seemed to get a bit more out of his ship on this pass then he has previously. He is making good time.

<FS3> Victoria rolls Perception: Good Success.
<FS3> Vuk rolls Perception: Good Success.
<FS3> Vuk rolls Navigation: Good Success.

Vuk is still holding steady as he watches, unwilling to go closer with his ship running dark. He's also listening closely, the sea doesn't always reveal her secrets by sight alone. "Take a measure." He says quietly to one of his officers, referring to play a long out with a weight, to see how far the water is. At least he'll have any idea of how they'll be if he has to turn her about, hopefully to avoid running aground.

Victoria blinks suddenly, a hand raising up to rub at her eyes, sea spray perhaps has just splattered into her eyes, the woman tearing up a moment. Thumb and forefinger will rub at her eyes, a quick blink done and a shake of her head, a softly murmured word of 'bloody inouv' given. Leaning away from the railing she will take a moment. And then turn back, listening to Vuks order before she tilts her head back. A few more blinks, and she's nodding to herself, she's good she's good. And realizes then that it is not any spray in her eyes but an eyelash, and plus it's incredibly dark. There, turning back around she'll lean in against the railing again.

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Vuk=navigation Vs NPC=3+7
< Vuk: Good Success NPC: Great Success
< Net Result: NPC wins - Solid Victory

Since you both seem to have gotten water out of your eyes or whatever seemed to have plagued you, not only do you both catch sight of more of the 2, 3, and 4 masted ships at the next harbour, as well as more fishing vessels, but you both happen to catch sight of a ship that is also running dark around the islands… and it is gaining on you. The ship appears to be one of the 3 masted ships, and they appear to have spotted you as they are heading right for you.

Vuk isn't going to be counting ships any longer, instead he's hauling the wheel about, to cut for the open sea. "Prepare the polybolos, quietly. We have another wraith on the waves." He says and angles his own vessel so it will cut across the waves, angled to cruise into the open sea at an angle to the ship following them. "If they engage us at open sea when the light comes…" he doesn't say any thing else but looks at Victoria. "You may want to find a good place to hide, or ready your self for a fight Victoria."

<FS3> Vuk rolls Navigation: Good Success.

Victoria notices those ships in the harbor, turned the wrong way, noticing more of those fishing boats and all the masted boats, taking quick count. Though Vuk's words do have her glancing over her shoulder, an eyebrow raising, "A wraith?" Not familiar with the term she'll turn around, still against the railing, to look into the darkness. And there it is. A sudden chill in her belly. Trapped on sea in a ship. She will give a solemn nod, nostrils flaring a bit as she breathes in deeply of the sea air, "I'll be below." And then at a quick clip she's off to go and duck beneath, to go and grab her bow.

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Vuk=navigation Vs NPC=3+7
< Vuk: Good Success NPC: Great Success
< Net Result: NPC wins - Marginal Victory

<FS3> Vuk rolls Perception: Success.

Since it seems they have been spotted, the ship goes lights on. That includes sending out lantern signals that Vuk might recognized as a call for additional ships. The ship sets up in pursuit and it appears to be drawing closer. Not only is it drawing closer, but it appears that there are men on the deck with weaponry, though you can't really get a good idea of what it is. You can just barely hear voices coming from the other ship, though you can not, as yet, make out precisely what they are saying. It is likely a version of 'Stop! Halt!'

Vuk continues his course. "Victoria! Hurry up! I have some thing for you! On the Polybolos!" He shouts and continues running towards the open sea. "Spread the cloth! I want every damn yard out!" He says and gestures to his officer. "Take anouther measure, I need to know when it starts to get shallow."

The sound of the ocean waves lapping against the sides of the moving ship and the sound of sails snapping at attention as they catch the wind is perhaps the only sound that may or may not be heard as another three mast ship answers the lantern signals. From the harbor it moves. Lantern light seems to follow it as it moves towards them and the signaling ship; it is like avenging entity, something out of the tales that speak of Nar or Sess.

Victoria strikes her way back up, bow over her shoulder, quiver upon her back, face stoic as she rushses across the deck to join Vuk, looking out to see the ship which is in pursuit of them now. Her lips will part slightly, "Can we not simply show them out stow of whale meat and blubber?" Asked softly in a quick breath, though she will move to the polybolos, heart pounding in her chest. She /hates/ being at sea. There is no blending in. No escape other than the luck of winds and speed.

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Vuk=navigation Vs NPC=3+7
< Vuk: Good Success NPC: Good Success
< Net Result: Vuk wins - Marginal Victory

The extra length in sails actually allows Vuk to start pulling away just a little. It's not enough to breathe deeply, but he does pull away some. There still voices calling from the ship, likely again, trying to tell you to Halt. The lantern is also flashing back at the islands, calling for additional backup, but at least so far nothing has been fired at you. How long that will last… well only time will actually tell.

Vuk waits to hear which way the shallows are before beginning to speak loudly enough for his orders to be more quickly relayed. "Break open some barrels of the oil and dump them to our stern!" He says and holds fast, to keep cutting for the open sea. "Unhook the anchors and fasten them to a cable! Make it short! Victoria! Load a Cabled Harpoon!" He says and listens to barrels being spilled overboard. He wants a slick out there.

<FS3> Vuk rolls Chance: Success.

Victoria moves quickly, grabbing a cabled harpoon, hefting it up as she brings it over to load it up into the polybolos as they had when they were hunting sharks, setting everything up. She works quickly, adrenaline high - silent prayers to the Goddesses, though she's setting up then with the polybolos, shifting it around to wait for further orders.

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Vuk=navigation Vs NPC=3+7
< Vuk: Success NPC: Great Success
< Net Result: NPC wins - Solid Victory

The ground made up by Vuk has now been taken away. It seems the ship that is following him may be a tad bit faster than his own, as not only has the distance he gained been negated, but more ground has been lost and the ship in pursuit is even closer now. Now you can hear the men on the ship calling for you to Stop or they will fire. There may have been something about 'prepare to be boarded' as well, but it is still a bit hazy. You can also see another ship, this one one of the big 4 masted ships, heading out of the harbor and heading in your direction at a swift pace. The vessel is massive and is likely someone's flag ship.

The new ship that was fast approaching seems to lag a little on the horizon. It is lights still bobbing on the ocean water. It is moving as quickly as the wind will allow it to. It is getting closer to the first ship with every heartbeat. The wind seems to pick up just a little bit.

Vuk shouts general orders now. "Make ready! Get some torches light and ready to go overboard! Drop anchor into the oil!" He shouts, the anchors being dumped as he yells. Both of the heavy weights plunging into the water so they begin to plunge into the waters slickened with oil, meant to burn in lanterns, so the only way not covered by the oil will be the shallows. "Victoria! Fire the cable into their lower hull! Archers! Make Ready!" Vuk says and holds fast, this might get ..interesting.

"You know, our whale meat is good, the blubber …everything. We could even sell them the sharks, let them know we thought they were pirates trying to …kill us." Simple enough, right? Did she ever mention she really hates boats? She does. She hates them. And then she gets the order to shoot and she will swivel her head to one side, sucking in deeply. Air, sucking in air deeply. To their lower huLL. Right, right. Okay. Okay. She will swing that polybolos around and …make aim and fire.

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Victoria=archery Vs Npc=3+7
< Victoria: Great Success Npc: Good Success
< Net Result: Victoria wins - Solid Victory

<FS3> Opposed Roll — NPC=3+7 Vs Vuk=Navigation
< NPC: Great Success Vuk: Success
< Net Result: NPC wins - Solid Victory

The bolt flies true through the air, the power of the machine causing it to catch into the hull of the ship just as planned. It is truly a wonderful shot. The only problem is that the archer on the ship you just fired at…. he's a pretty damned good shot too. A bolt, with an attached cable flies through the air from the ship you just fired on and embeds itself just as solidly into the hull of your ship. A call comes from the ship, "Surrender and prepare to be boarded!" The 4 masted ship coming from the island is making a steady pace towards the current predicament.

Vuk raises an eyebrow and looks at the cable dug into his ship. "Victoria, load another, and when their flagship closes, the big ship. Cable it to us." He says and grabs a crewman and shoves him at the wheel. "Hold us steady to sea." He says and moves to stand beside Victoria and shout out. "Stand by and surrender, or you will die!" He returns their surrender and picks up a torch. "Once they are pulled into the slick.."

Victoria has plenty of objections to this plan, but she hasn't a clue what she's doing out here, so, its only inevitable that she's going to have to trust Vuk since this is his ship, his crew. With a deep breath she will load up once again another harpoon with the cable, grunting as she does so, putting her back into it and then settling in again to …find the big ship, and wait.

<FS3> Opposed Roll — NPC=3+7 Vs Vuk=Navigation
< NPC: Great Success Vuk: Good Success
< Net Result: NPC wins - Solid Victory

<FS3> Opposed Roll — NPC=3+7 Vs Vuk=Navigation
< NPC: Success Vuk: Good Success
< Net Result: Vuk wins - Solid Victory

They are now within range and the deck lights up as tar dipped arrow fare as they are light. A hail of burning arrows lights the sky. They are almost beautiful as they look like falling stars that then become dancing embers. The sound of feathers backside humming fills the night. There is another shout as more arrows are loaded and then set alight. The flaming tar tipped arrows hit the side of the Vuks ship.

Vuk is calm about this, this is how war works. "Archers, fire on their flagship. I want their cloth burning! Armsman! Work on those fire arrows before they trouble us!" He says and once his vessel is passed the slick, the enemy pursuer drawn in by the weight of the anchors..he throws that torch into the oil. They can deal with that. "Victoria! Let that large ship have it! Then start putting bolts into her masters!" Vuk says and lightly draws an axe. "Lets see about their cable."

Victoria licks her lips - she may not work on a ship …but she knows something about ranges, and calls out, "Lord Captain, it's too far to be able to get their main ship!"

As the flame dipped arrows fly and hit their mark, another set of bolts fly from the other ship. The actually miss, Vuk managing to evade them, or the aim was off… either way. At the same time as the bolts fly, the cable attached to the ship drops into the water… either the cable was cut or the bolt was removed somehow. The bigger ship holds back, moving to cut off potential escape routes, but staying out of range for the moment. Apparently whoever is at the helm is chosing to see how this goes. There are also more ships that seem to be drifting away from the islands and heading in this direction. They are coming from many sides to assit, and to cut off potential escape routes. This area is definitely not lacking in ships it seems.

Vuk still could set the sea behind him on fire, which is what he has done. "Idiots." He says and gestures to the cable still attached to his vessel. "We will drag them into the fire." He says and points at the open sea. "Keep the course! If we have no choice, we will ram one of them! Which ever first crosses our bow. Ram them!" Vuk says and looks around. "Get ahold of the line attached to us! Get it on the anchor spokes!" He's actually going to use the anchor wheel to -drag- the ship attached to it into the fire.

<FS3> Opposed Roll — NPC=3+7 Vs Vuk=Navigation
< NPC: Good Success Vuk: Good Success
< Net Result: DRAW

Victoria is going to stick right here by the polybolos, staring out as even more ships come on. She's got one job, and that's to fire this baby, and she will hold onto it tightly, staring out, waiting. Keeping ears and eyes keen.

When Vuk sets the fire, the ship turns to try and avoid as much as possible, as well as try and pull Vuk as well. While the other ship has more mass, it made it's turn a little later than anticipated and so the two ships are pretty much at a draw this time. Neither ship is really moving from the spot where this all started.

<FS3> Opposed Roll — NPC=3+7 Vs Vuk=Navigation
< NPC: Good Success Vuk: Success
< Net Result: NPC wins - Marginal Victory

<FS3> Opposed Roll — NPC=3+7 Vs Vuk=Navigation
< NPC: Good Success Vuk: Failure
< Net Result: NPC wins - Solid Victory

When Vuk sets the fire, the ship turns to try and avoid as much as possible, as well as try and pull Vuk as well. While the other ship has more mass, it made it's turn a little later than anticipated and so the two ships are pretty much at a draw this time. Neither ship is really moving from the spot where this all started. The turn doesn't stop the archers from the ship firing again on Vuk's ship and more bolts hitting the hull. At least for now, no people have been hit on board.

The other ships are slowly moving into position, forming a circle around the ground, but currently the other ships that are approaching are staying out of range of the ships weaponry, including the flag ship. The flag ship seems content to wait just out of range.

Vuk snarls a bit and passes along his ship.s length. "Fire at their sails! I want that ship dragged into the fire!" Vuk says and shifts a bit to suddenly take the harpoon from the Polybolos Victoria is manning and begin filling the bolt chamber. "Pepper their mast and sails Victoria! Once they are pulled into the fire we'll make a break." Vuk doesn't actually tell her..this is a good day to die. "Death Before Dishonor!"

There is a cry for a fire from the second ship and another round of tar dipped fire arrows land in and on Vuks ship. Some of the arrows sink into the haul and they continue to burn. Other land on the rigging and in the masts and sails, the smell of smoke is starting to become thick. A few land on the deck.

It might be a given that she already sorta knows that, "Might have been a wise thing to allow them to simply board us. Perhaps we should …jump out, and swim to freedom-" Said as she moves to fire as he tells her to, aiming for masts and sails before she lets out a shot.

<FS3> Opposed Roll — NPC=3+7 Vs Vuk=Navigation
< NPC: Great Success Vuk: Good Success
< Net Result: NPC wins - Solid Victory

<FS3> Opposed Roll — NPC=3+7 Vs Vuk=Navigation
< NPC: Failure Vuk: Great Success
< Net Result: Vuk wins - Crushing Victory

<FS3> Opposed Roll — NPC=3+7 Vs Vuk=Navigation
< NPC: Success Vuk: Great Success
< Net Result: Vuk wins - Solid Victory

Vuk is moving to rest one hand on the axe he carries, and another on a pistol crossbow. "Tell me Victoria, if they discover I'm a noble, and on orders from the King of Mobrin, what do you think will happen? Death before Dishonor." He says and points at the masts. "Get these fires out!" It isn't hard for armsmen to move as they are faced with the situation. Buckets are lowered overboard, sailors starting to drench fires. "Archers! Fire at will! Set any thing that isn't us into flame! Let them know we still can burn them!" Vuk moves to place one foot on the railing. "Nor do they have a reason to board us any more. They can -burn us- us."

This time things go a little different. The mass of the larger ship helps it begin to move in the opposite direction, pulling Vuk's ship towards the massive oil slick that is aflame. Luckily for Vuk the bolts fired off the ship fall harmlessly into the water, not even coming close to his ship, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the cable is being used to the bigger ship's advantage and pulling Vuk's ship in a direction he does not wish to go. By now there is no real escape route in the sea. There is an ever growing ring of ships that are just out of range and will remain just out of range. There are also dark shapes on the closest shore in case anyone does chose to swim.

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Victoria=archery Vs NPC=3+7
< Victoria: Great Success NPC: Good Success
< Net Result: Victoria wins - Solid Victory

Another hail of flaming arrows are fired from the second ship and they land into the water and eventually disappear beneath the black waves. They ready another volley. Men are shouting and air is now thick with smoke, and the scent of burning tar. The night sky is black as ink. The fire casts eerie shadows across the water. The perfect sacrifice for the darkone.

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Vuk=archery+3 Vs Npc=3+7
< Vuk: Great Success Npc: Good Success
< Net Result: Vuk wins - Marginal Victory

<FS3> Opposed Roll — NPC=3+7 Vs Vuk=Navigation
< NPC: Good Success Vuk: Failure
< Net Result: NPC wins - Solid Victory

<FS3> Anahyta rolls 3: Success.

Victoria's bolts fly true, the masts splintering enough that the ship is very disabled. Flaming arrows from the long bows also hit the ship, which is now stopped dead in the water. Of course that doesn't mean they don't fire back. While some men are looking to jump ship and avoid the flaming water as much as possible, some are staying their posts and firing the ship's weapons at Vuk's ship. And payback can be a complete and utter witch with a capital b at times, as their aim goes for Vuk's masts and their aim is just as true as Victoria's.

Vuk is still resting his boot on the railing and watching the fires spread. "Men of House Aleksy! We were once a proud force! We once ruled the seas! Did we fear the coming storms? Did we fear corsair? Do we fear death? No! Death Before Dishonor! We were sent here at the behest of our liege! We were sent her to ensure the safety of your families! I stand to my ship! I will -not- become a bargaining chip against my liege!" He shouts and turns and gestures at Victoria. "This is not your death as it will be mine. Get into your dancer's dress. Then you may look merely as if I kidnapped you. Take the coin from my cabin and hide it. You may be able to book passage to Mobrin." He says and moves towards the bow of the ship to hold onto the rigging. "Damn you." he says at the ocean, not the ships firing on him. "We will drown, burn, or be boarded. Strike the colours of Aleksy." He says as he stands amougnst the wreckage.

<FS3> Anahyta rolls 3: Failure.

Victoria's aim may be true but her thoughts are elsewhere, likely why she got off a good shot, she wasn't concentrating, merely plotting out her next steps. As flames erupt around her from the arrows in tar she will come to a very, very delightful realization. She doesn't want to die. Not here. Not like this. Her husbands death was senseless, yes, but …hers doesn't need to be. The dance of flames rises up to illuminate the Huntress on the deck of this ship, raven hair showing highlights of deep red, her head turning as she looks to Vuk. Her chest will rise and fall quickly, he's right. This is not her death. A spark within. Everything is telling her to run. She will reach out quickly, hugging the man tightly, "Death is not the way." But she's got little time, and she's stripping out of her dark leathers, undoing buttons, buckles, before she dashes to the cabin, stripping as quick as she can, pulling on a dress from Jadda that Venan had give her. Coin, well. It will likely sink her, but she will try to tuck as much as she can into a breast band before she forces open one of the windows, an arrow on fire next to it, in order to try and pull her way out of the ship - damn. Big. Hips. From. Her. Bloody. Mother.

Fire is held from at least the severely damaged ship. Everyone is in holding patter to see what more Vuk will do. Some of his men, like the men on the damaged ship, try and find a safe place to jump off the ship and take their chances in the water. Others do as they are told and seem ready to follow Vuk to his death if he commands it. At least the severely damaged ships and the other ships aren't firing, or going anywhere.

Vuk narrows his eyes a bit. "Work on the fires..and find us some thing to lash canvas too. Keep the heading for the open sea, and signal them. We request to leave their waters."

<FS3> Victoria rolls Swimming: Good Success.

The ships move to open up space for Vuk to pass and head out to open water. Other ships start to move to try and rescue as many sailors from the damaged ship as possible, without catching fire themselves, as well as picking sailors up from the water. It seems they will let Vuk pass, though if he notices one ship, staying out of range of fire, moves to tail the damaged ship.

Victoria manages to squeeze out that port window, flopping down into the water when she realizes that this may also be a terrible idea as well. Because see, she's only …been taught the very basics of swimming. The dog paddle, really. And on her back. Floating and trying not to swallow any of the sea water, but she does in a panic once she hits the water. Though her rigid training kicks in and she flops onto her back and does a back stroke towards the shore, kicking her feet, dress dragging in along with her, long hair all loosely goosey now, like inky jelly fish in the water. Right towards those men on the shore, Victoria flipping around to call for help - she feels a cramp in her leg - but she's not drowning. She'll reach a good enough point in the sandy waves and crawl onto her knees for a bit. She's good, she's good. Flop.

Vuk is wary, but there's a code of the sea, you don't let men die. "Pull the long boat aside and ..strike a flag of parley." He says through gritting teeth. The flag will run up, white. "Now help men who are close enough for the lines. Don't let them become dead because we were out played." He says and goes to the long boat, so he can run his own white flag up. Cursing constantly. "Thrice damned sea. Thrice damned deities." He says, deciding to row towards open water to wait. "Thrice damned affections for that Ranger."

As the longship is boarded by Vuk and the flag is run, the flagship moves forward. Men remain manning the weapons on the ship deck, but they don't seem ready to fire unless fired upon. A ladder is dropped to Vuk and he is assisted onboard the flagship and patted down quite well for any weapons. If any are on his person they will be confiscated. He is then escorted to a room on the ship and told to wait.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License